Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Breaking News!!! Daniela Goldstone Shepherds College Class of 2014

 Finally my dream has come true! Today I found out I was accepted to Shepherds College in Union Grove Wisconsin!!!! This is where I am going to go to college starting next August!

A couple of months ago I applied to this college because my mom told me about it and it sounded like a really great school. Two weeks ago, my mom and I went to visit the college and go to their open house. I also had an interview and some tests. I went to different classes and had lunch and dinner with the students. I got to stay in an apartment with the students too. It was really cool. The classrooms and the housing are really neat. My mom got to stay in a suite on campus too. I loved the staff and the students and everyone was really nice to me. I made many new friends. Some of the students have already called and written to me on Face Book.


I knew when we left the school that this was the college I want to go to. It felt very safe and a place I could feel at home. I have been waiting every day to find out if I was accepted. Finally today, was the day! I will write lots more about the college soon. Right now I want to go call people and email them to let them know the good news. Here are a couple of pictures from today and my visit. I'll share more of those soon as well. My mom is going to write more about everything below the pictures. I am very, very excited!

love,

Daniela


September 29, 2010 the day I found out where I'm going to college!!
Sept. 15, 2010 the day I saw Shepherds College - Here are some of the Staff. Tracy Terrill is the college director on the very left. Chris Wright is the Admissions Director on the very right.




From Tina,

What an exciting day at the Goldstone house! This is a day Daniela has been working towards for almost 2 years. When we found out this spring that Daniela was on the waiting list at Clemson, we decided it would be a good idea to look at some other schools in case a spot never opened up for her.


I had looked at Shepherds College back in the beginning of the search for programs, but decided it was might be too far away. It was brand new at the time, but did look very promising. I decided to give it a second look and wrote the admissions director with some questions. We started an ongoing dialog and we were very impressed by the time and attention they took with every one of our queries. Their program is quite unique ( look at the earlier post I wrote about the college). The organization Shepherds Ministries has been working with individuals with disabilities for over 50 years. They are some of the earliest and most pro-active leaders in the field of providing opportunities and independent living for individuals with disabilities. The college program is now in it's third year. Though further away than other programs we applied to, there are direct flights from here to Chicago ( an hour south of the college) so getting there is in some ways easier than some of than other programs. We decided to move forward with an application.

Our visit 2 weeks ago was absolutely wonderful. They treated us and the other visiting families like family. They even have a few really lovely suites available that families can reserve to stay in while visiting (for which they only ask a donation of whatever you can afford). We felt so welcome and at ease. I have never seen Daniela as excited about anything before. All she kept saying was, "This is amazing!"The students were like Daniela in so many ways - friendly, hard-working, and engaging. They were wonderful hosts to both Daniela and myself. The more senior students mentor the new students. Students come from all over the U.S. and overseas. I went to a couple of classes with Daniela. They were so fun and interactive. Daniela even felt brave enough to raise her hand and answer some questions. The first year is basically academic and pre-vocational. The second year, the students pick one of two majors and focus on vocational training. The third year students intern in their majors in the rural surrounding area. Everyone receives classes in independent living, religious studies, and other skills all three years.

The housing is so well-thought out. The first year the students live in dorms (to be completely renovated this year) like typical college students, though they do have cooking opportunities. The second year the women and the men each live in a separate home (brand-new!) housing 8 students, with more opportunities to cook and live independently. The third year, the students live in apartments with one other student, with a great deal more responsibility. The progressive growth in the students was obvious. The third year students were incredibly mature and responsible. They would measure up very well with the best of their "typical" peers.

We knew  for sure when we left that we had found "the" program for Daniela. It has just the right mix of academic, vocational, and life skills classes that we were looking for. The housing situation is ideal. The level of support is remarkable (to not only students, but for the families as well.) Shepherds College is only in it's third year, but the long history of Shepherds Ministries in the field of intellectual disabilities has given the staff a vast depth of knowledge in every aspect of the program.  Their program should be a model for others around the world. This program is faith-based (interdenominational). The founders, board, and staff are practicing Christianity in the very best sense of what it means to be a Christian.

I'm in the process of writing an article, with Daniela's input, about Shepherds College and our visit to the program for Exceptional Parent Magazine. In it I will give many more details about the program and it's history. Christianity Today Magazine also has an article coming this fall about the school (not by me!)

 The world is taking notice of this ground-breaking program. It is  truly changing, and will continue to change so many lives. I'm just so very proud and happy to say one of them will be my daughter Daniela!

A very excited Mom!!!!

Tina



Enhanced by Zemanta

21 comments:

  1. Daniela, I'm so proud of you honey you are a beautiful girl and you will go far!!! I'm praying for you! Lori Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS DANIELA!

    It was great to read about the third-year students and their maturity level, Tina.

    Thank you, Tracy and Terrill.

    Daniela, it does sound very very exciting. It was interesting to hear about the suites and the very friendly students.

    I also love the idea of studying and interning in the country.

    Would love to read the magazine articles as soon as they come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniela! We just had to comment! Reading this made us very happy. You may wonder who we are ... "we" are the voice of two wire fox terriers whose human sister (OurNinaGirl) was born in Russia 18 years ago. She graduated from high school last year and is has started college this fall. She is studying to become a teacher, and is interested in someday teaching students with learning challenges. She understands the challenges that many students face in school, and with life in general.

    We are very very proud of you ... and very happy for your family.

    Congratulations! It sounds like you have found the perfect school, Shepherds College. We hope to learn more about it ... thanks to YOU!

    Fondly
    Jake and Fergi, Sally and Nina, too!

    Please, if you like, come visit our blog. We'd be proud and happy to share it with you.

    And. One more thing. We know a young man who may be VERY interested in learning about Shepherds. (Sometimes things happen for a reason!) We would like to share your blog with his family. We hope that is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for seeing Shepherds as it truely is! A wonderful home for those who need it and a place to learn and grow! I grew up in Union Grove, and it is a great place to live. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniela, that's great that you got accepted next year. Congratulations! I am looking forward to seeing you next year. - Daniel Frania

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Daniela
    My name is Sierra Ries, and I am a first year student at Shepherds College. I am extremely excited about having you join Shepherds College when you come. I am pleased to tell you that you will have alot of fun at College. Every weekend we do some pretty fun things. Can't wait to see you at next year.

    Congratulations, Daniela!

    Best Regards,
    Sierra Ries

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I am a first year student at Shepherds College. I am very happy that you get to come here next year. I look forward to seeing you when you come. - Laurel Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that you are coming next year to Shepherd's College. That is great! I am a first year student at Shepherd's College.
    You are going to love it in Wisconsin! I am praying for you.

    Sean David Krause

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daniela,
    I am a first year student here at Shepherds College, and I just heard that you got accepted to Shepherds College. I can't wait to see you next year. Congratulations!

    Amber Blake

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm one of the fist year students at Shepherds College. Good job on getting in to the school. I will be praying for you.

    Amanda Savala

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a college student at Shepherds College. I'm excited to see you next year. I will be praying for you!


    Annie Kraiss

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Daniela,

    I'm a first year student at Shepherds College, and I'm glad that you got accepted. I hope that I will see you next year. I will be praying for you.

    Your fellow Shepherds College student,
    Aaron Lutz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your acceptence to college. I'm a student here at Shepherds College. Have fun!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am excited to hear that you are coming to shepherds college. I am praying for you and wishing you the best. I am a first year student.

    Tess Spahr

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Daniela,

    I am a first year student at Shepherds College. I am praying for you, and I am glad that you are coming next year.

    Your friend,
    DeAnna Cuevas

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a Shepherds College student. I look forward to seeing you next year in August 2011. I'll be praying for you and hope that you have a good journey here.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Daniela,

    How are you? My name is Samuel, and I am a first year Shepherds College student. Congratulations on your acceptance to Shepherds College. I look forward to meeting you next year. I will be praying for you. I pray that you have a safe trip here.

    God's blessings,
    Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daniela,

    Congratulations on your acceptance to Shepherds College! I was sick when you visited and missed meeting you. I am so thankful that your visit went well. God is bringing you here and I am very excited to work with you! I will be praying for your journey and preparation in the next year.

    In Christ,
    Miss Erin Reynolds
    Shepherds College Academic Advisor and Instructor

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations, Daniela. Well done! Also, I just love your blog. Information and updates. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Amanda, Daniel, Sierra, Laurel, Sean David, DeAnna, Zoe, Tess, Aaron, Annie, Amber, Ray and Samuel.

    Hope your prayers get answered.

    And hello, Ms Reynolds! Hope you're feeling better, now.

    It's been great to read all your comments. Daniela will be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Daniela, loved the pictures from the concert. Would love to see the documentary on the orphanages in Romania.

    ReplyDelete