Tuesday, September 7, 2010

From Tina - Interview perspective and a big honor for the blog

I want to add my perspective to Daniela's post below about her job interview. This was a huge step for Daniela. For her to be able to go in and interview with a stranger  was terrifying enough. To have this interview be for a job she very much wants to have only added more pressure ( but also really motivated her.) To be perfectly honest. I was a little skeptical that she would be able to do it. (For those of you who already have jobs, do you remember how daunting it was to face your first interviewer?)


Right before the interview, Daniela sat by herself. I could tell she was trying to gather courage. When it was time to go with her job counselor for the interview,  she was calm and confident (and excited at the same time). I on the other hand, was a little nauseous.....


Daniela came bounding over at the end of the interview, a big smile on her face, two thumbs up in the air. Sandy looked very pleased and a little shocked. I think Daniela surprised her by how confidently she handled herself. I was incredibly proud of Daniela and what was even better, happy that she was so proud of herself. What a huge boost for her self-esteem. She wanted to buy donuts and some new shirts. I would have bought her the moon if I could have!

The first thing Daniela wanted to do when she got home was to write on the blog and share her story about the day. She asked me, "Mom do you think me writing about my interview could help other people with disabilities, so they wouldn't be so afraid to do it themselves?" I told her that I was sure it would.

(And I thought it wouldn't be possible for me to be prouder of her today - well I was wrong!)

Then when we got home, Daniela checked her email and found a message from a Nathan Grimm who is the program manager of the SR Education Group . They have a web-site called the Guide to Online Schools. The email said that Daniela's blog has been chosen to be featured on Guide's list of the Best Learning Disabilities Blogs! What a wonderful honor! He went on to say this: "We hand-picked a list of our favorite blogs by people who are writing about learning disabilities and outlined the unique reasons why we love them. We were really entertained and intrigued by your blog, Daniela's Journey to Independence."

In the description of her blog on the web-site, it says, "It’s certainly an inspiring story to follow!"

Daniela and her dad and I are so pleased by this honor. Who knew when we started the blog this spring, that it would be enjoyed and helpful to so many ( and growing numbers of)  people? And it has truly helped Daniela as well, which was it's original purpose. She enjoys it so much and loves reaching out to others.

Here is the web-site link: Guide to Online Schools/ learning disability blogs

Looks like a great resource . I'm sure we'll be checking out many of the other blogs listed!

All in all, a pretty super day at the Goldstone's!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see everybody's hard work paying off!

    Yes, it would be very helpful indeed.

    Especially loved the pink nails. Added a bit of colour to the interview.

    ReplyDelete